Sunday, September 20, 2009

絶望した!学校の前に休みは絶望した!

Aaaaand we're back. We're reaching of the end of what would most likely be termed the 'honeymoon period' of the trip, where everything is peaches and cream and shopping and bright eyed wonder. To be sure, I'm still happy I'm here and looking forward to all manner of new adventures this year, but its getting to the point right now where I need to be preparing for my studies and work. As such, I'm in the midst of the 'last hurrah' as it were.

Over the weekend, I discovered (via Internet) a little wine shop in Omotesando that sold Willamette Valley Vineyards wine in several varietals. I was very excited to get a little taste of home, so my friend Marie and I went out to find the place. As luck would have it, the didn't have the Willamette anymore, so we decided to leave it and go exploring. We went through Harajuku, Shibuya, and Shinjuku. If you know Tokyo, then you know that each of these places can take days to explore by themselves. This was just kind of a whirlwind tour to get a taste of each. I've got a BFS event in Seibu Shinjuku tomorrow, so I'll be in a different part of the same district. Still, it was a really fun day and we both came home with some new music CDs from Tsutaya (think Tower Records).

I also picked up a Japanese PS2 this weekend. I realize some of you may think I'm an idiot for doing this seeing as I brought my own PS2 from America, but let me explain. PS2s are region-locked due to international media zoning practices (read: EPIC FAIL). Since I want to be able to play Japanese games, I decided to bite the bullet and pick one up. It was actually pretty reasonably priced - cheaper than the market standard even though it was brand new. It was a good purchase and one that I don't regret. Plus, as a bonus, I found out that my PSP and Nintendo DS aren't region-locked, so I can play Japanese games on them. Good times!

I went out this morning to go and get my foreign registration card, only to discover that the city office is closed until Thursday due to national holidays. Oh well, I got to explore Tokyo Dome Park (conveniently located right next door) and nearly went to a Yomiuri Giants baseball games. I decided against it just because I was flying solo and these kinds of things are so much more enjoyable with one or more other people. Someday...

I've got a few photos from the weekend. There was a little festival in our area that involved the shrine next door, so it's been lively here this weekend. Now we've settled back into peace and quiet and a restful first half of the week awaits us.

Our decorated shrine - by night and day.





































This was on the side of a trailer in Harajuku. The text says "I'm boring."

















These balloon sheep were being given away in the Omotesando Hills mall. Very crowded on weekends.











The entryway to Harajuku - one of the best places in Tokyo to find quirky little souvenir-type gifts and unusual, inexpensive clothing. Very crowded on weekends.










The statue of Hachiko in Shibuya, a very popular meeting place. Very crowded on weekends.
















This is me. That is Asahi beer. Down there is the beef stew I made. Very crowded on weekends.
















絶望した!

4 comments:

  1. the best thing
    in the world
    is
    beef stew

    (and...japanese beer perhaps? :D)
    ((is the beer crowded on weekends too?))

    fabulous pictures
    i wants a pet sheep ballooooon.

    that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Takeshita Dori (the shopping street) is definitely cheap, but since I've become a J-fashion label whore, I find that the backstreets and LaForet offer better clothes. The backstreets also have a whole bunch of hairdressers (if you would like a $60 cut 0_0) and the Closet Child CD store, which is like Half-Priced Books but for J-rock CDs. ^_^

    I wants a sheep balloon too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will have to recreate this beef stew when you get home. Maybe write down the recipe? That way you can make it again anytime! YAY!!

    Too bad the wine wasn't there. That's exciting that they carried it at all though! Good find!

    I like all the pictures! Keep 'em coming! XD But, really? Even you with your beef stew and beer are crowed on weekends? I'm not sure I buy it. lol ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, you're playing games in Japanese now? Guess it'll be really good practice. I can't imagine being that fluent in a second language.

    Also, those balloon sheep are adorable.

    ReplyDelete